NDSP Main Page

nds image

Educational Outreach Department | Phone : (808) 675-3780 | Email :


Students interested in taking courses for credit or auditing as a Non-degree seeking (NDS) student may apply for admission to Brigham Young University–Hawaii (BYUH) through the Educational Outreach Department. Non-degree seeking students are those who do not intend to pursue a degree or certificate at BYUH but rather, plan to take courses for personal enrichment, for transfer to another college or professional growth. Those who have completed a degree at a university or college may also apply. Students (both new and former students) must complete an application form to determine eligibility, and provide the required items below. The application will be processed once all items are submitted. Once admitted, students will be able to register one month prior to the beginning of the semester. Students are able to register for a maximum of 6 credit hours. Non-degree seeking students are NOT eligible for: on-campus housing, student jobs at BYUH, student jobs at the Polynesian Cultural Center or any other church entities, student medical insurance, university scholarships, Pell Grant or other Federal Government student loan programs.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • You are a resident of the state of Hawaii; 12 consectuive months
  • You are at least 18 years or older
  • You are a U.S Citizen, U.S Resident or non-U.S citizen with current J2 or F2 visa
  • You are not currently suspended (including academic or Honor Code suspension) from any college or university (including BYUH)
  • You are in good standing with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • You are not currently on probation, parole, under restriction with any court, and have never been convicted of a crime (other than a traffic violation)

Educational Outreach office facilitates the application portion of the non-degree seeking program. Upon the term activation of the applicant's account, students will refer to the individual departments who are responsible for items such as vaccination records, tuition, etc. as shown below.

Application Process with Educational Outreach:

STEP 1: Submit Application Form
Please choose one (1) of the following methods of submission:
   A) Online Submission - Please select the form that applies to you. 
           Online registration for Spring 2019 is OPEN.
           Previous NDS students with more than one (1) semester in between enrollment
           Form must be printed, completed and submitted to our office
STEP 2: $35 Application Fee - Application Fee may be paid online HERE. If you want to make a payment in person, you must obtain a payment slip from Educational Outreach to make payment at Financial Services Cashier's.
STEP 3: Submit Ecclesiastical Endorsement - All required items MUST be submitted before the application deadline. Click HERE for the form.
STEP 4: Submit Proof of Residency - This is not required for employees or employee spouses. Common acceptable proof of residency are rental agreement, mortgage statement, Hawaii tax statements, etc.
Once all items have been submitted, your application may be considered complete. You will then need to wait for a response on the admissions decision.

If you are admitted, here are a list of things you can prepare for before the semester starts:

  • You will need to complete the Vaccination Requirements for the State of Hawaii. This includes MMR 1 & 2 Vaccinations and Tuberculosis Clearance. A link to the information and their forms are here. It does take time for this to be processed. If you have completed the vaccinations you are able to send the forms to your medical providers to complete and return to the Health Center. The Health Center does place a hold on your account that would prevent you from registering. Taking care of this early will help streamline the process for your getting into classes.
  • For employees and employee dependents who are eligible for a tuition waiver, be sure to complete your waiver early so any tuition charges will be taken care of. For employees the link is here. For employee dependents (Spouse and Children), the link to the waiver is here. Keep in mind that as a Non-Degree Seeking student you are not eligible for financial aid.
  • If you are a former student, be sure you do not have any financial holds on your student account. Contact the Student Accounts Receivable department for more help if you have a hold. They can be contacted by calling (808) 675-3706 or by emailing
  • If you need to add/drop a class, you can download the forms from the Registrar's Office forms website here.


Please also refer to the BYUH Academic Schedule

SPRING 2019  ~ Application period is OPEN

Monday, March 25, 2019 Last day to submit Application Forms and required items
Monday, April 1, 2019 Class Registration Begins for Non-degree seeking applicants
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Classes Begin
Friday, May 10, 2019 Last day to add/drop classes without a Fee and signatures
Tuesday, June 25, 2019 Last day of class instruction

Dropping Classes:
Classes may be dropped online with no cost until after the add/drop deadline the 4th day of semester. There will be a $10.00 fee for each class dropped after the deadline date. (Please refer to the "Important Dates" section for deadline dates)

How to drop classes after the close of online registration:
Step 1: Go to Registrar’s office and ask for an add/drop form.
Step 2: Have your form signed by Instructor and Educational Outreach
Step 3: Submit to Registrar's office ($10.00 if passed deadline)

Discontinuance must be completed prior to the first day of classes to avoid withdrawal fee. Tuition will be charged from the first day of classes to the date the Registrar's office receives the official discontinuance notification. The refund will be calculated based on the day that the withdrawal form is submitted to the Registrar's office with clearance signatures. A withdrawal fee of $10.00 will be charged to process an application for early withdrawal.

How to request to withdraw from classes:
Step 1 : Go to Registrar's Office and ask for Withdrawal Card
Step 2 : Fill it out and obtain Instructor and Educational Outreach Signatures
Step 3: Submit to Registrar's Office with $10.00


When and how do I register for classes after I apply for the program?
Class registration for non-degree seeking students opens one (1) month prior to the beginning of each semester (please refer to the Important Dates tab for dates). Registration is available to those who have completed the application process and was notified of their account term activation (or reactivation). Registration is accessed online through mybyuh using your CES NET ID ( watch tutorial video).

How do I audit the classes?
Students will go through the regular application process even if auditing their classes. Once the student is notified of their account term activation (or reactivation), he/she will submit an add/drop form to BYUH Registrar's office with an indication of "audit" next to the course name.

Do I need to reapply to the program every time I want to take classes?
The student's account will continue to be active until one (1) or more semester is unattended. Students are required to reapply as a "former student" if there are more than one (1) semester in between class enrollment. The application process for former students will not require fees or documentations to be submitted, except a current endorsement if it has expired since their previous attendance.

Where do I pay for tuition?
The tuition will be administered through BYUH Financial Services where payment can be made. Logon to mybyuh to find out information such as the amount charged, payment deadlines, and more.

How do I receive tuition benefit?
Tuition benefit is available for eligible university employees, their spouses and dependents. To find out more information concerning the policy, please contact Human Resources or visit their website ( click here). To receive tuition benefit, students are required to submit a tuition benefit form to Human Resources at the beginning of every semester they attend.

How can I get a transcript for the classes I've taken?
Transcripts are ordered online. Click here for more details